About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Premier League trio up for African Player of the Yearby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveThe Premier League is again dominating the African Player of the Year awards.The Daily Mail reports Liverpool forwards Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane, along with Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, have again made the shortlist for the Confederation of African Football (CAF) player of the year award.It is the second year running the trio have battled it out for the prestigious prize, to be named Africa’s finest player.Egypt striker Salah claimed the honour last year and will be favourite again, hoping to become the fourth player to win back-to-back titles after Senegal forward El Hadji Diouf, Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o and Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure.The award is voted for by the national team coaches and captains of CAF’s 56 member associations and the winner for 2018 will be announced in Dakar on January 8.
Juventus coach Sarri defends scratchy victory over Hellas Veronaby Carlos Volcanoa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveJuventus coach Maurizio Sarri admits they weren’t at their best for victory over Hellas Verona.Miguel Veloso had put Verona in front, even after Samuele Di Carmine missed a penalty, but Aaron Ramsey’s deflected effort and a Cristiano Ronaldo spot-kick secured the 2-1 victory.“Perhaps there was some mental fatigue, because you need to immediately recharge the batteries a couple of days later. With a lot of changes, you lose some balance, and that’s what we saw today, as we played in fits and starts,” Sarri told Sky Sport Italia.“Dybala had a very good game. Ramsey still needs to adapt, but that’s pretty natural in the circumstances. Our central midfielder was man-marked, but I think we could’ve done more with the other two midfielders. Changing two out of three in the middle meant it was clear we could’ve lost some balance.“This is a team under construction and you can tell. We far too easily forget to defend moving forward and tend to run backwards under pressure, so it’ll take a while to get that out of them.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Man Utd Double winner Parker: If Solskjaer sacked – then Woodward must goby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United Double winner Paul Parker says if manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is sacked – then vice-chairman Ed Woodward also must go.Parker does not think sacking Solskjaer would be in the best interests of the club right now.However, he says if Woodward was to go as well, then he would support the decision.“I just think it doesn’t make sense for Manchester United to sack a manager, whether you want to call it a sacking or leaving by mutual consent,” Parker told talkSPORT.“I don’t think they can because they’ve got enough issues going on.“I think they are in such a bad place at the moment it would throw more mud at the club if they were to get rid of Ole.“If they could come out and say ‘we are getting rid of him and we are going to have a clean slate, we’re going to start with someone fresh’, in other words Ed Woodward is going to move away from his position and someone else is going to take that position and the club is going to be run as what it should be, a football club, I would say yes.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Simeone happy with progress of his new-look Atletico Madridby Carlos Volcano25 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveAtletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone is happy with the progress of his new-look team.The Argentine is confident that the young signings such as Renan Lodi and Joao Felix will improve with time.”It is clear that since we renewed for the club we understood the changes that were going to be made,” Simeone told the press.”Hopefully time will allow the youngest players [such as] Lodi and Joao Felix to improve.”With time and matches they will be better.”Patience only respects those who win.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Today is college football’s National Signing Day, which means that two things are happening. One – the nation’s top recruits are deciding where to spend the next four years of their lives. Two – former players are reminiscing about the decisions they made. Former Florida star Brandon Spikes, who now plays for the Buffalo Bills in the NFL, is looking back quite fondly.Spikes took to Twitter Wednesday afternoon to post photos of the title rings he was able to accumulate during his stay in Gainesville. He was part of two BCS title teams. He said that playing for UF was the “best decision” he’s ever made.Best decision I ever made was going to University Of Florida! #kissTheRings #GoGators #GatorNation pic.twitter.com/ivq2rQtc1Q— BrandonSpikes51 (@BrandonSpikes51) February 4, 2015Best decision I ever made was going to University Of Florida! #kissTheRings #GoGators #GatorNation pic.twitter.com/bmerDzrtam— BrandonSpikes51 (@BrandonSpikes51) February 4, 2015Florida’s class is currently ranked No. 46, but new head coach Jim McElwain hasn’t had as much time to recruit as his peers. Tweets from former stars like Spikes certainly don’t hurt the cause.
SEATTLE, WA – NOVEMBER 25: Head coach Mike Leach of the Washington State Cougars looks on against the Washington Huskies at Husky Stadium on November 25, 2017 in Seattle, Washington. (Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)The Pac-12 was one of the many conferences that voted against satellite camps, which the NCAA banned last Friday. Not every coach is in agreement with the league. While some in his league, like Stanford’s David Shaw, don’t care about the ban, it makes sense that Washington State’s Mike Leach would be an advocate for them. The Palouse is probably not the easiest place to get recruits to visit. Leach hopped on with SiriusXM College Sports Nation today, and the hot topic of satellite camps came up. Leach rarely holds back on big subjects like this, and he certainly didn’t disappoint here.“A bunch of people need to worry about what they’re doing and not what Jim Harbaiugh’s doing.” — Mike Leach on @SiriusXMCollege— Andy Staples (@Andy_Staples) April 11, 2016Leach also said the majority of Pac-12 schools were for satellite camps. Isn’t sure how the league wound up voting to ban.— Andy Staples (@Andy_Staples) April 11, 2016Leach: “They don’t need satellite camps (in SEC). … But for those in the SEC who don’t like satellite camps, quit being such babies.”— Travis Haney (@TravHaneyESPN) April 11, 2016Wasn’t happy about that, either. Bet B1G only Power 5 that would be unanimous pro. Varying opinions within leagues. https://t.co/AUy6gCDlYt— Travis Haney (@TravHaneyESPN) April 11, 2016Most coaches wouldn’t go so far as to call the SEC “babies.” Mike Leach is not one of those coaches.
Laurent Koscielny says Arsenal team-mate Hector Bellerin should try to “enjoy life” during his injury lay-off and has backed the Spaniard to return “stronger than before”.Gunners right-back Bellerin has been ruled out for the rest of the 2018-19 season after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his left knee in a Premier League win against Chelsea on Saturday.Bellerin was making his first start since recovering from a calf strain sustained in December, but he could now be out of action for as long as nine months. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Koscielny, though, feels his fellow Arsenal defender can use the opportunity to explore opportunities away from the pitch before making his comeback.”Like I said to him yesterday, ‘Put football on the side and enjoy a bit of your life with your family and friends’,” Koscielny told Sky Sports. “He is starting a new chapter of his career.”It will be long but he is a strong boy and I know he has the people around him to help him and be back as soon as possible and stronger than before.”He knows all the team are here to help him because we know he will have some difficult moments during his rehab, like Rob [Holding] and Danny [Welbeck], but they know all the team are here and behind them to help them come back with us and help us to have results together.”There are no obstacles in life you can’t get over. Been a difficult couple of days but I’m positive and ready to take whatever challenge comes my way. Thank you so much for the love and messages, you are incredible pic.twitter.com/onwrMvIKui — Héctor Bellerín (@HectorBellerin) January 22, 2019 Koscielny is no stranger to the treatment room himself, with the 33-year-old having only recently returned to action after rupturing his Achilles.”It was very hard during some moments because I missed the World Cup,” said the France defender. “But you learn a lot about life, you are more positive about football because you know it’s just a small part of your life, and you have some good things off the pitch.”I discovered a lot about life so I was surprised about that. I was very focused on my rehab so sometimes you are in a bubble and you can’t see people trying to help you to be back as soon as possible.”It’s important to open your eyes because there are good things. Now I am more positive about my life and career and try to keep the negative things outside of my body.”When you are a football player you are focused on football, media, results and you forget a lot of things around you. You can forget family and kids a bit because you are with your team-mates all the time. It’s important to open your eyes and enjoy life as well as your football career.”I enjoy my career more now than before I was injured because I learned a lot about football and life. I just want to enjoy it.” Check out Goal’s Premier League 2019-20 fantasy football podcast for game tips, debate and rivalries.
Wesley Sneijder has dismissed reports that he paid Yolanthe Cabau a €15 million (£13m/$17m) settlement in their divorce.Earlier this year reports emerged that Sneijder and the actress had split after the former Netherlands star admitted in an Instagram post in March that he had “messed up several times”.The pair were in the headlines in Turkey again this week when it was claimed that Yolanthe had demanded more money from Sneijder but settled for €15m. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? And while the former Ajax, Real Madrid and Inter player took to Instagram to confirm they are no longer married, he says he did not pay his now ex-wife anything.Posting an image that read: “Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools and accepted by idiots”, Sneijder hit out at the media in the caption, writing: “I’m not gonna be nice anymore to all the bullsh*t people that are talking sh*t about Me and Yolanthe.”Let me be very clear. First of all, yes we are not together anymore for a while now. No we are still not divorced yet. I made a lot of mistakes in our marriage. But that’s nobody’s business. That Yolanthe is still so good to me I respect so much. She takes care of our son every day AND ME even though we are not together.”Second of all she doesn’t need anything from my part because she has her own. “The Turkish press wrote she wanted 19 million and I gave her 15?! Haha you guys are getting crazier every time. If people would only know how the reality is.”People without brains will always believe what they read. Just so you all know: Yolanthe didn’t ask me for anything and I will not ask her for anything. We don’t need each other’s money. This stories are all lies.”I find it disgusting what the press is writing about me, all bullsh*t and lies all the time and now this bullsh*t about her. I know we don’t need to respond to anything and I respect the mother of my child so much for staying so calm and taking all this sh*t. “But I’m not like that. I don’t let people mess with my life all the time!”Sneijder previously played five seasons in Turkey with Galatasaray winning the Super Lig twice. He last suited up with Qatari club Al Gharafa, with his latest appearance for the side coming last January.
TEMPE, AZ – SEPTEMBER 08: Quarterback Brian Lewerke #14 of the Michigan State Spartans drops back to pass during the first half of the college football game against the Arizona State Sun Devils at Sun Devil Stadium on September 8, 2018 in Tempe, Arizona. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)On Saturday afternoon, the Michigan Wolverines went into East Lansing and dominated the Michigan State Spartans. The Wolverines stifled Michigan State’s offense allowing the Spartans just 94 total yards of offense.Quarterback Brian Lewerke put together a truly awful performance, completing 5-of-25 passes for just 66 yards through the air. At one point late in the game, Lewerke was benched in favor of backup QB Rocky Lombardi.After the game, some wondered if Lewerke was hurt. As is turns out, Lewerke entered the game with a right shoulder injury and didn’t practice the week leading up to the game.MSU QB Brian Lewerke confirmed after the game that he has a right shoulder injury.— Chris Solari (@chrissolari) October 20, 2018The Spartans quarterback revealed head coach Mark Dantonio left the decision of whether or not to play up to him. It’s an interesting tactic from the head coach – especially given Lewerke’s struggles on Saturday.The junior quarterback revealed he injured the shoulder in Michigan State’s win over Penn State last weekend.Next up for the Spartans is a home game against Purdue.
TUSCALOOSA, AL – OCTOBER 22: Jalen Hurts #2 of the Alabama Crimson Tide reacts after their 33-14 win over the Texas A&M Aggies at Bryant-Denny Stadium on October 22, 2016 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)Ahead of the final stretch of their season, Alabama head coach Nick Saban is hopeful that he’ll have all of his players healthy – including quarterback Jalen Hurts.Saban addressed the status of his injured former starting QB this past Thursday. And he had some good news to share.“Jalen was able to practice a little bit today, but he’s limited a little bit still,” Saban said, per 247sports. “But he’s getting well very rapidly now. He’s kind of turned the corner a little bit.”A week after undergoing a procedure for an ankle sprain, #Alabama backup QB Jalen Hurts is back on the practice field.Here’s the latest there as he’s listed as “day to day” by the Tide. https://t.co/VJFZiZtXP8 pic.twitter.com/Cu2vJY65SD— Shea Dixon (@Sheadixon) October 30, 2018Hurts suffered an ankle sprain after a 21-yard run against Tennessee. He underwent a procedure to fix the problem during the bye week and was back in limited practice this week.Alabama has not missed a beat since transitioning from QB Jalen Hurts to Tua Tagovailoa. In fact, the Crimson Tide seem even more unbeatable now.Also addressed in the injury report was the status of WR DeVonta Smith, who missed Alabama’s last game with a hamstring injury.Saban said that Smith has practiced this week and should be “…very close to 100 percent by game time.”Alabama play LSU this weekend in a game that could ultimately determine this year’s SEC West Champion.[247sports]