‘We don’t want to be infected’: Indonesian crewmen plead to be airlifted home

first_imgHe said that the operator of the Diamond Princess was allowing its crew members to disembark, as long as their governments had made arrangements for their repatriation. He said that all passengers had left the ship by Tuesday, which left some 400 crew members on board.He begged President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo to rescue them, adding that the governments of the United States, Canada, South Korea and several European countries were planning to begin evacuating their nationals among the crew on Tuesday.”What is the government waiting for? Are they waiting for the remaining 69 of us to become infected?” said Masfud.On Feb. 5, Japanese authorities quarantined the Diamond Princess as well as its 3,711 passengers and crew for two weeks, docked in Yokohama, in an attempt to contain the spread of the virus. By the time the ship was released from quarantine on Feb. 19, however, 634 of all those aboard had tested positive for COVID-19.The Indonesian government had recently floated a plan to evacuate the remaining healthy Indonesians onboard, with officials saying that it might either send an aircraft or the Indonesian Navy’s Dr. Soeharso Hospital Ship on the humanitarian mission.However, Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto said on Monday that Jakarta was negotiating with Tokyo on the evacuation options.While acknowledging the increasing number of infected aboard the cruise ship, Terawan said the government did not want to “make a rash decision” as regards the evacuation, stressing that it wanted to ensure that the evacuation would not spread the virus to the archipelago.Indonesia maintains that it has zero confirmed cases of COVID-19 to date, although a recent report about a Japanese man raised fear among the public that infections were going undetected. The Indonesian crewmen expressed their hope that the government would airlift them from the Diamond Princess. Sudiarta noted that if Jakarta decided to send a ship, they would have to wait another 14 days or so until it arrived in Yokohama.The crewmen’s main concern is that the probability of their becoming infected would increase the longer they stayed aboard.”We don’t want to become infected after previously testing negative,” Sudiarta emphasized.Indonesian crewman I Ketut Januartika agreed with Sudiarta, and reiterated the group’s hope that the government would send a plane to bring them home.“Anything could happen in the days we [have to] wait for a ship to get here,” he said.Januartika said he was willing to be quarantined again once they had arrived back in Indonesia. “If the government could come collect us by aircraft, I am ready for another quarantine. But please, don’t come get us by ship. It would take too long while we wait here,” he said.Topics : “Although we have tested negative [for COVID-19], we are worried because we are still on the cruise ship. We have yet to breathe fresh air,” said the father of two before continuing with a plea to the Indonesian government: “Please, evacuate us as soon as possible.”Masfud, who works as a chef de partie on the ship, said that morale was rapidly diminishing among all Indonesian crew that remained on the vessel, as they lived under the constant fear of contracting the virus as they waited for the government’s decision.The native of Surabaya, East Java, stressed that the vessel was “contaminated” with the coronavirus, which had been proven by the fact that the number of confirmed cases among the ship’s passengers and crew had continued to increase throughout the quarantine period.Masfud said that some of his colleagues had been healthy before, “but they were quarantined in the same cabin with a crew member who was showing certain symptoms, such as a high temperature”. Later, everyone in the cabin had tested positive for the virus. After working aboard the Diamond Princess throughout its 14-day quarantine in Yokohama, Japan, I Wayan Sudiarta was finally able to  breathe a sigh of relief over the weekend when he found that he had tested negative for COVID-19. The Feb. 24 records showed that 691 passengers and crew of the cruise ship had contracted the disease, which is caused by the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that emerged in December 2019 in Wuhan, China.Although the 24-year-old felt lucky that he was not among the nine Indonesian colleagues who had contracted the virus, the negative test result did not allay the worries of Sudiarta and the 68 Indonesian crewmen who remain on the ship.last_img read more

Government partners with ride-hailing firm, importers to ensure beef remains affordable

first_img“[The partnership] is expected to speed up the chain of distribution,” Trade Minister Agus Suparmantao said as quoted in a statement on Monday. “Hence, we can maintain affordability while effectively imposing large-scale social restrictions.”Read also: Staple food imports arriving in May to safeguard stocks, prices: AirlanggaThe food supply chain faces logistical issues as regional administrations impose tighter social and travel restrictions to slow the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which has infected 6,760 people and led to 590 confirmed deaths nationwide.As a result, slaughterhouses recently reported between 20 and 30 percent declines in demand for beef, the minister said.  Between March and May, demand is estimated to reach 201,730 tons, according to data from the Agriculture Ministry. With national stocks and imports, there is an estimated surplus of 62,850 tons.Aspidi has 3,800 tons of beef in its stocks, while the State Logistics Agency (Bulog), the government agency tasked with securing national staple food stocks, has 110 tons in stock.With the Islamic holy month of Ramadan and Idul Fitri approaching, the Trade Ministry recently issued permits allowing both state-owned and private firms to import beef for additional supplies. However, producing countries, such as India, are under quarantine, making it difficult to make deliveries.Beef was sold on Tuesday for Rp 117,850 (US$7.56) per kilogram, 1.1 percent higher than the average price over the same period last year, according to the government’s staple food prices tracker, the Information Center for Strategic Food Prices (PIHPS).“The partnership between Gojek and Aspidi will make ensuring affordable beef prices a priority, in line with Trade Ministerial Regulation No. 7/2020,” said Agus, a National Awakening Party (PKB) politician.Read also: COVID-19: ‘Mudik’ ban to begin Friday, roads to remain openIn line with the government’s stay-at-home orders, as many as 20 percent of Appsi and Aprindo members recently began offering online grocery shopping services. Many traders in traditional markets had used ride-hailing companies’ food delivery services even before the partnership.“We are supporting the Trade Ministry’s program by using mobile applications to meet people’s staple needs amid the pandemic,” Gojek’s public policy and government relations division head Shinto Nugroho was quoted as saying in the same statement.Previously, the Agriculture Ministry brokered a similar partnership between Gojek and the Toko Tani Indonesia Centre, a grocery store in South Jakarta tasked with providing affordable food.The ride-hailing company is offering a free-fare delivery service for minimum purchases of Rp 40,000 at Toko Tani within a 25-kilometer radius from the store.Topics : The Trade Ministry is working to ensure staple food prices, including beef, remain affordable and distribution remains smooth amid the COVID-19 outbreak by partnering with ride-hailing company Gojek, importers and retailers. The Indonesian Meat Importers Association (Aspidi), the Indonesian Retail Association (Aprindo) and the Indonesian Market Traders Association (Appsi), all of which are partnering with the ministry, are expected to sell beef and other staple food at affordable prices.Ride-hailing company Gojek, which has over 1 million drivers nationwide, will help deliver staple food as people stay at home in compliance with physical distancing measures.last_img read more

FB : Syracuse pass protection breaks down, offense unable to gain rhythm

first_img Comments Published on November 11, 2011 at 12:00 pm Contact Mark: mcooperj@syr.edu | @mark_cooperjr Ryan Nassib was helpless. As the Syracuse quarterback tried to improvise — to do anything — to get the Orange back in the game, his offensive line left him unprotected from an all-out, suffocating blitz.Surrounded, Nassib had nowhere to scramble. On fourth-and-goal from the 3-yard line, during a crucial fourth-quarter drive, the play was lost. He tried to hurdle South Florida linebacker Sam Barrington and got up in the air, but he came right back down with Barrington. He pushed the ball up toward the end zone, a feeble flip that was out of the reach of tight end Beckett Wales.SU was two yards away from pulling within six points. But second, third and fourth downs combined produced a loss of yards as the Orange offensive line crumbled.‘They ran an all-out pressure, the play we had against that pressure wasn’t the best,’ Nassib said. ‘So I tried to, maybe I should have, I probably should have audibled to have something else.’The three plays in which SU got stuffed at the goal line by South Florida took the enthusiasm out of the Carrier Dome crowd and allowed the Bulls to retain a comfortable double-digit cushion. They also encapsulated a performance by the Orange offensive line that made Nassib’s night grueling in Syracuse’s 37-17 loss to USF on Friday. Nassib was sacked three times and flushed out of the pocket to make a rushed throw on many other plays.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAfter failing in its attempts to fuel a strong running game early, Syracuse relied more on the pass — and then relied more on Nassib’s legs — as he rarely had sufficient time to throw.‘Most teams are going to pressure us, and we’ve got to pick that up,’ SU left tackle Justin Pugh said.SU head coach Doug Marrone and his players said there was nothing about USF that surprised them. It was just bad execution on Syracuse’s part.That was the case with the offensive line as much as anywhere else on the field. The Orange came out with a game plan centered on running the ball, which it failed to carry out.After an 8-yard run by running back Antwon Bailey to start the game, he gained 1 yard on second-and-2. Then running back Jerome Smith was met by USF defensive tackle Keith McCaskill at the line of scrimmage on third-and-1.‘Third-and-1, you can’t have a guy get beat,’ SU center Macky MacPherson said. ‘It’s just not possible. You can’t have that happen against a team like USF.’Syracuse’s first seven offensive plays were runs, but they resulted in zero points for the Orange on the scoreboard.After three drives in which Pugh said South Florida ‘came out and punched us in the mouth,’ SU relied heavily on Nassib.On its final three drives of the first half, the Orange ran 23 plays. In 19 of them, Nassib dropped back to pass. Six of those became forced runs or sacks.Nassib took three-step drops, looked at his first reads and ran for it if they weren’t open. There was no time to go through a progression. It’s why he finished the game with a peculiarly high 10 carries.‘You can’t expect him to step back there in two seconds and make a play like that, so that’s on us,’ Pugh said.Nassib looked even more impatient in the pocket in the second half. Trying to establish a rhythm in the third quarter, Nassib began a drive with a short 6-yard completion to Jarrod West.But on the very next play, USF linebacker DeDe Lattimore manhandled his blocker and blinded the SU quarterback for a loss of 6 yards.‘I think about myself,’ Marrone said of the lack of time for Nassib. ‘I have to get them in situations in practice where we can make those plays because we do make them during the week of practice.’For a moment on one fourth-quarter drive, it looked like the Orange would overcome the faulty protection to get back in the game.Down 23-10, SU drove into the red zone and reached the USF 7-yard line. On the first play of the fourth quarter, Bailey pushed his way down to the 2.But on second-and-goal, Bulls defensive end Julius Forte burst through the Orange line unblocked to stop Bailey for a loss. And on that fourth down from the 3, SU’s comeback hopes — and Nassib — went down with the offensive line.‘That’s on us, the offensive line,’ Pugh said. ‘We got to go establish the physicality, and I take 100 percent blame on myself for not going out there and being as physical as I should have been.’mcooperj@syr.educenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more