Decision on holding Olympics must wait until spring 2021: organizer

first_imgAn executive board member of the Tokyo Games organizing committee said Friday a decision on whether to go ahead with the postponed Summer Olympics and Paralympics should be made no earlier than next spring.Toshiaki Endo, one of the vice presidents of the organizing committee, said it was important to monitor the coronavirus situation and assess its potential impact on the games.”Selecting athletes by around next March will be a major challenge. The organizing committee will need to make some kind of a decision considering the situation at that time,” Endo, a lawmaker and former Olympic minister, said at a meeting of his Liberal Democratic Party. Endo, however, said he has confirmed with the IOC that no deadline had been set on making a decision.Last month, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach said in an interview with BBC Sport that he accepts that the virus-hit Tokyo Games will have to be canceled if they cannot be held next year.Japan is considering simplifying the format of the Summer Games, including reducing the number of spectators and scaling back the opening and closing ceremonies, government sources said Thursday. The move demonstrates Tokyo is willing to be flexible to ensure the games have the best chance as possible to go ahead.The Tokyo Olympics are now slated to be held from July 23 to Aug. 8 next year, with the Paralympic Games following between Aug. 24 and Sept. 5.The Tokyo Games organizing committee said it is scheduled to make a virtual presentation about its preparations to the IOC executive board next week.Topics : His comments were the first in public by an executive member of the organizing committee about when a decision regarding the fate of the games might be made.The Olympics and Paralympics, which were originally scheduled for this summer, were postponed in March after athletes and National Olympic Committees voiced fears over the virus and a number of qualifying events had to be canceled.”There are still many estimates and it is unclear what the new coronavirus situation will be next summer. It is still too early to discuss whether to hold (the games) or not,” he said.John Coates, who heads the IOC’s coordination commission, has indicated that October will be a critical period for assessing whether the Japanese capital will be able to welcome the world, according to Australian media.last_img read more

Assaidi looks to prove a point

first_img Even Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho was seen to offer words to Assaidi. “I didn’t hear what he said,” said the winger. “He’s a very big coach and he was also happy for me I think, maybe.” Maybe not, but Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers certainly would have been given Stoke’s victory allowed the Reds to move back above Chelsea into second in the table. Assaidi moved to Anfield in the summer of 2012 from Heerenveen but did not make a Premier League start in his first season. The 25-year-old remains hopeful he can have a future at Liverpool, saying: “I have two years more and we will see but I’m now at Stoke and I’ll do my best. “(Rodgers) texts me sometimes and I speak sometimes with him. I think the games that I got at Liverpool was not so much but the games I got I did well. If he gives me a chance then maybe I can show (what I can do).” Hughes has not yet looked into the possibility of keeping Assaidi permanently, and he said: “I think Oz probably still thinks he has a future at Liverpool. He’s very much their player but he’s doing very well for us and we’re pleased that we’ve been able to have him.” Mourinho was left frustrated by his side’s failure to take their chances, but he also has concerns at the other end of the pitch. It was the second successive game in which the Blues conceded three goals, and they have now let in more goals in the league than in the whole of Mourinho’s first season in charge in 2004/05. He said: “I don’t think it’s fair to compare players from different generations. They are completely different moments. “I think this team is a team that has to score goals. We are not a physical team, we are not a team with the conditions to defend against physical teams.” The 25-year-old Moroccan international’s day did not begin well when he was told by Hughes that after back-to-back starts he would have to settle for a place on the bench. He was given just six minutes to impress, but that proved more than enough, the winger collecting a ball from Stephen Ireland on the left, driving to the edge of the box and unleashing a ferocious drive into the top corner. It earned Stoke a 3-2 victory, their first league win over Chelsea in 38 years. Assaidi celebrated his first Barclays Premier League goal exuberantly, removing his shirt and sprinting to the dugout where he was swamped by team-mates. “I don’t know what I did after but I was very happy,” he said. “We needed this, and the way we played. We got the three points and everybody is very happy. This will give us confidence for the future.” Assaidi joined Stoke from Liverpool in the summer on a season-long loan but has been a peripheral figure so far, starting only four games in all competitions. He said: “For the minutes I’ve been given I think I did well. I’ve scored two times and I haven’t had so many games I think. “This week I got 90 minutes two times and I’m very happy for this. I wanted to start again but the coach made another decision. I showed that I can create something for the team. “The coach knows my quality I think because before I went on the pitch he told me, ‘Go and win us the game’. He knows what I can do. “I’m very happy for this confidence but I really want to start of course. I had to be patient until he gave me my opportunity, then I showed (what I can do).” Oussama Assaidi hopes he has proved a point to Stoke boss Mark Hughes and parent club Liverpool with his stunning winner against Chelsea. Press Associationlast_img read more

Joey Barton has FA ban for breaching betting rules reduced

first_img English football suspension extended until 30 April  March 19, 2020 StumbleUpon Submit Share Premier League looks to broadcast every behind-closed-door fixture August 28, 2020 Related Articles Upon appeal, the ban of former England international and Premier League footballer, Joey Barton has been reduced by five months.  Barton was punished by The FA for breaching betting and player conduct rules on 1,260 bets on matches between 26 March 2006 and 13 May 2016.  The former Burnley midfielder appealed against the length of the ban, describing it as ‘excessive.’ The appeal board of the FA agreed with Barton and shortened the ban which was due to end on 25 October 2018, but will now end on 1 June 2018.The report by the FA, said the ban now “reflects the overall seriousness of the breaches and also the mitigation including the full extent of Mr Barton’s addiction.”Barton, who was released by Burnley in May was given a one match ban by the Scottish FA in November 2016, whilst playing for Rangers, also for breaching gambling rules. Last April the footballer announced on his personal website, that the length of the FAhas “effectively forced me into an early retirement.”Barton revealed on Twitter that he was also due to play in a charity match for victims of the Grenfell Tower tragedy, however, as it is an FA sanctioned match his ban will inhibit him from playing any part in the game. Share UEFA confirms indefinite Finals postponement March 24, 2020last_img read more

Hall of Famer Frank Robinson of Oakland dies at 83

first_imgFrank Robinson, a trailblazer who forged his own path from the playgrounds of West Oakland to baseball immortality, died Thursday after a long battle with bone cancer. He was 83.The Hall of Fame outfielder had been in hospice care for the past few months and passed away in Los Angeles, almost 45 years after he made baseball history by becoming its first African-American manager with the Cleveland Indians.Robinson is mostly remembered in the Bay Area for managing the Giants from 1981-84, when …last_img read more

Photo library: Tourism and leisure 2

first_img{loadposition tc}Click on a thumbnail for a low-resolution image, or right-click on the link below it to download a high-resolution copy of the image.» Download Tourism & Leisure contact sheet (1.1MB) » Download full image library contact sheet (10.5MB) Durban, KwaZulu-Natal province: Beachfront hotels. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Durban, KwaZulu-Natal province: Harbour scene. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Durban, KwaZulu-Natal province: The Royal Yacht Club. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Durban, KwaZulu-Natal province: Harbour scene. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Durban, KwaZulu-Natal province: Couple at the Royal Yacht Club. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Durban, KwaZulu-Natal province: The Royal Yacht Club. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Durban, KwaZulu-Natal province: The Royal Yacht Club. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Durban, KwaZulu-Natal province: Sewa bird, Wilson’s wharf. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Durban, KwaZulu-Natal province: The Durban International Convention Centre Arena. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res imageTOURISM AND LEISURE 2:{loadposition tourism}Having trouble downloading high-resolution images? Queries about the image library? Email Janine Erasmus at janinee@mediaclubsouthafrica.com.last_img read more

That UK Internet Filter May Block Way More Than Porn

first_imgTags:#now#pornography Related Posts Not content with forcing UK residents to opt out of porn-based filtering of their Internet service, the government of Prime Minister David Cameron may well cut off access to many unrelated Web sites as well. The Open Rights Group, a digital-rights advocacy outfit in the UK, reports that its discussions with Internet providers suggest that they will also filter a wide variety of other sites by default.Such filtering, the OSR wrote, could include:☑ pornography ☑ violent material ☑ extremist and terrorist related content ☑ anorexia and eating disorder websites ☑ suicide related websites ☑ alcohol ☑ smoking ☑ web forums ☑ esoteric material ☑ web blocking circumvention toolsUsers will still be able to opt out of such filtering, OSR reports—though in practice, relatively few people actually ever change default settings.Image via Shutterstock A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… readwritecenter_img Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Marketlast_img read more

Tory senators deny stalling private members bills on Indigenous rights

first_imgOTTAWA — Conservative senators are being blamed for running out the parliamentary clock on a number of bills, including several aimed at advancing the rights of Indigenous Peoples.But the Conservatives’ Senate whip says the Liberal government will have only itself to blame if the bills aren’t passed before Parliament breaks for the summer and the subsequent fall election.With only three sitting weeks left in the Senate calendar, Sen Don Plett says the priority has to be on government bills, not those introduced by individual MPs or senators.Among the bills the Conservatives are accused of stalling is one that would ensure all laws in Canada are “in harmony” with the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.Others in limbo include a bill on Indigenous languages and one that would add First Nations, Metis and Inuit representatives to the board that makes decisions on national historic sites and monuments.If the Trudeau government were serious about getting the private members’ bills passed, Plett says it should have taken them up as government bills.The Canadian Presslast_img read more