Santa Anita Racetrack to Reopen to the Public on April 2

first_imgCommunity News Santa Anita Racetrack to Reopen to the Public on April 2 CITY NEWS SERVICE Published on Thursday, March 18, 2021 | 7:13 pm Community News STAFF REPORT First Heatwave Expected Next Week Herbeauty6 Trends To Look Like A Bombshell And 6 To Forget AboutHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyAmazing Sparks Of On-Screen Chemistry From The 90-sHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty9 Of The Best Family Friendly Dog BreedsHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyWhat To Do When You’re Not Able To Choose Between Two GuysHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyHe Is Totally In Love With You If He Does These 7 ThingsHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty11 Signs Your Perfectionism Has Gotten Out Of ControlHerbeautyHerbeauty Name (required)  Mail (required) (not be published)  Website  Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena Business News Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * More Cool Stuff 17 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it Photo courtesy Santa Anita Park FacebookSanta Anita Park in Arcadia will reopen to the public on April 2, a little more than a year after closing due to the coronavirus pandemic, track officials announced today.Santa Anita’s opening, which comes after Los Angeles County moved this week into the red tier of the state’s COVID-19 reopening system, will come one day before the 84th running of the Runhappy Santa Anita Derby, one of the highlights of the track’s annual calendar.Attendance will be limited in accordance with local health orders, and fans must purchase tickets in advance, which will include an assigned seat.“We are extremely excited to welcome back our racing fans to Santa Anita, just in time for the Santa Anita Derby,” said Nate Newby, Santa Anita’s senior vice president and general manager.“It hasn’t been the same without the people who are so important to this sport. While the current restrictions are going to limit the size of the crowds, we are working hard to provide a memorable experience for our guests and to thank them for their support.”The track closed to the public last March 27, but like otherCalifornia racetracks it has continued to hold races without fans in attendance.More information on Santa Anita can be found at www.santaanita.com.center_img Make a comment Community News Top of the News CITY NEWS SERVICE/STAFF REPORT Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. STAFF REPORT Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy Subscribe EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Donald CommunityPCC- COMMUNITYVirtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPasadena Public WorksPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimeslast_img read more

Board sets budget for academic year

first_imgSaint Mary’s Student Government Association (SGA) approved its revised budget Wednesday with a majority vote. The new budget presented to the Board had the same numbers as the previous budget, but student body president Rachael Chesley said the finance committee added a rationale, which helped clarify the decisions they made. “The finance committee was happy it was brought back to review so they could come up with a rationale and really be able to solidify why decisions were made in the first place,” Chesley said. Two concerns voiced in last week’s meeting were about the amount of money allotted to class boards and where the Capital Fund, money allotted for general campus improvements, would go. Class boards had asked for additional funds to pay for events such as parents’ weekends, but Griffin said that would be out of the realm of possibility. “We felt like we weren’t sure where we were taking money from to give class boards,” Griffin said. “The only way we could possibly make a difference would have to give you tens of thousands of more dollars.” Griffin also explained the need for the Capital Fund to help make improvements around campus, including renovating the student government offices and putting funds into Dalloway’s, the campus clubhouse. “Money from the Capital Fund would come into play,” Chesley said. “It is the leverage we need to fix things on campus.” Money that could be used for an updated version of the Notre Dame co-exchange program was added to the budget. The program, which was cut at the beginning of the academic year, allowed 75 Saint Mary’s students per day to have a meal at Notre Dame’s dining halls at no additional cost. Students have expressed concern over the cancellation of the program, which is now only available to students who need the tickets because they have classes or commitments at Notre Dame during meal times. Chesley said the addition of a budget for a new “social” co-exchange program doesn’t guarantee a new program will be formed, but will allow the Board funds to move forward on the issue. “I think we could do it and this is going to give us the financial leverage we need to even consider the different options for co-exs,” Chesley said. Chesley said she and student body vice president Laura Smith have continued to work on the issue, and are working on exhausting their options. “The goal that we’re looking toward is getting some form of social co-ex tickets back to students, free of charge to students,” Chesley said. After discussions closed, the budget was put to a vote and was passed by majority vote, meaning the Board can now start giving funds to campus boards, clubs and organizations. “We now have a budget. We can move forward with the year,” Chesley said.last_img read more

HAF Consortium to Decommission Brae Bravo Platform

first_imgHeerema Marine Contractors (HMC) and AF Offshore Decom (AFOD), together known as the HAF consortium, have secured a contract from Marathon Oil Decommissioning Services for the Engineering, Preparation, Removal and Disposal (EPRD) of the Brae Bravo Platform.The scope comprises of the EPRD of the topsides, the flare jacket and bridge and the main jacket.Koos-Jan van Brouwershaven, CEO HMC said: “At the start of the tendering process the teams set themselves a clear goal: We are in it to win! It has been a true team effort along the way together with our long standing partner AF Offshore Decom to secure this contract. We are both pleased and proud that this has earned our clients trust in the HAF consortium to execute this complex EPRD project.”Bengt Hildisch, president of AFOD, added: “Thanks to all, both within Heerema and AF Offshore Decom that helped to win this important work. The award of both Dunlin Alpha and Brae Bravo in the last two weeks, cements HAF’s position as the absolute market leader in EPRD projects in the North Sea.”last_img read more

Australia collapse gives SA the edge ..Dale Steyn ruled out of the series

first_img(REUTERS)-South Africa’s bowlers rallied magnificently after the loss of pace spearhead Dale Steyn before their batsmen pushed to an 102-run lead at the close on day two of the first Test against Australia yesterday.Steyn left the field with a shoulder injury before lunch and was later ruled out of the series with a stress fracture in a hammer blow for the touring side.But the remaining Proteas bowlers ripped out the hosts for 244 before tea before Dean Elgar (46 not out) and JP Duminy (36 not out) combined for an unbroken 59-run stand to steady the innings after two early wickets in the final session.South Africa were 104 for two at stumps having fought back strongly after Australia had dominated the first day.Vernon Philander took 4-56, teaming up brilliantly with debutant left-arm spinner Keshav Maharaj (3-56) as Australia lost 10 wickets for 84 runs after resuming in the morning at 105 without loss.“A few of us probably have to look at ourselves in the mirror and say why did we play those shots?,” opening batsman David Warner said of a collapse that included four ducks.Rising pace talent Kagiso Rabada took three wickets, with Steyn grabbing the first of the day to deny Warner a century.The Australian vice -captain and opener Shaun Marsh pushed Australia to 158 before Steyn had Warner caught in the slips for 97.Steyn exited in his following over but it did little to break the Proteas’ focus, with Rabada bowling Usman Khawaja for four and Maharaj grabbing a memorable first wicket, trapping Steven Smith lbw for a duck as the captain skipped down the wicket.Marsh was given out lbw in the final over before lunch and the rot continued after the break.Bowling a tight line and length, Philander and Maharaj ratcheted up the pressure with three straight maidens before Mitchell Marsh succumbed for an eight-ball duck.Adam Voges showed some resistance but Rabada caught a leading edge off his own bowling to dismiss him for 27.Mitchell Starc lasted only six balls before holing out for a duck off Maharaj, driving to South Africa captain Faf du Plessis at midwicket.Wicketkeeper Peter Nevill managed 23 before Josh Hazlewood (4) and Nathan Lyon, the fourth duck of the innings, fell quickly to wrap up the Australian innings.Shaun Marsh took a sharp catch at midwicket to dismiss Stephen Cook for 12 off paceman Peter Siddle and Josh Hazlewood bowled Hashim Amla for one, having dismissed him for a duck in the first innings.But Elgar and Duminy stood firm in the last hour to complete a fine day for South Africa and give the tourists hope of setting a big target on day three.DSOUTH AFRICA 1st innings 242 (Q. de Kock 84, T. Bavuma 51; M. Starc 4-71)Australia 1st innings (Overnight: 105-0)D. Warner c Amla b Steyn 97S. Marsh lbw b Philander 63U. Khawaja b Rabada 4S. Smith lbw b Maharaj 0A. Voges c&b Rabada 27M. Marsh lbw b Philander 0P. Nevill c Amla b Maharaj 23M. Starc c du Plessis b Maharaj 0P. Siddle not out 18J. Hazlewood c Duminy b Philander 4N. Lyon c Elgar b Philander 0Extras (lb-3 nb-5) 8Total (all out, 70.2 overs) 244Fall of wickets: 1-158 D. Warner,2-167 U. Khawaja,3-168 S. Smith,4-181 S. Marsh,5-181 M. Marsh,6-202 A. Voges,7-203 M. Starc,8-232 P. Nevill,9-243 J. Hazlewood,10-244 N. LyonBowling: D. Steyn 12.4 – 3 – 51 – 1, V. Philander 19.2 – 2 – 56 – 4(nb-3),K. Rabada 20 – 1 – 78 – 2(nb-2,K. Maharaj 18.2 – 5 – 56 – 3.SOUTH AFRICA 2nd inningsS. Cook c S. Marsh b Siddle 12D. Elgar not out 46H. Amla b Hazlewood 1J. Duminy not out 34Extras (lb-5 nb-1 w-5) 11Total (for 2 wickets, 40 overs) 104Fall of wickets: 1-35 S. Cook,2-45 H. AmlaTo bat: F. du Plessis, T. Bavuma, Q. de Kock, V. Philander, D. Steyn, K. Rabada, K. MaharajBowling: M. Starc 9 – 4 – 18 – 0, J. Hazlewood 10 – 2 – 31 – 1(nb-1),P. Siddle 8 – 4 – 12 – 1, M. Marsh 4 – 1 – 11 – 0(w-1),N. Lyon 9 – 2 – 27 – 0.last_img read more