iStock/Graffizone(NEW YORK) — A former New York City police officer was indicted for attempting to cover up a crime scene after shooting a man in the face, multiple sources confirmed to ABC News.Ritchard Blake turned himself in to the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office on Friday and is expected to get arraigned on two counts of tampering with physical evidence charges, sources said.Blake, 41, allegedly got into an altercation with Thavone Santana during the pre-dawn hours of Aug. 2, 2018 and fired two shots. One of the bullets burrowed through Santana’s face and landed in his neck where it remains, according to a federal civil lawsuit he filed in January.After the shooting, Blake allegedly told 911 he opened fired in self-defense because he was being robbed. The following day, video surveillance showed a different story, an internal investigation was launched and Blake was fired from the force.Blake is not charged in the shooting itself but in the cover-up after police said he hovered over Santana, noticed the security cameras on a lamppost and planted a knife on the victim.A law enforcement source told ABC News that “all the evidence was presented to the grand jury and they found that the shooting was justified.”According to the lawsuit, Blake has a history of violence.“Sgt. Blake has a prominent and long history of violence, assaults and was the subject of Internal Affairs investigations of his actions in 2010, 2011 and 2016 and was disciplined for his violations of NYPD Policies.”Request for comment by ABC News from Blake’s attorney Abe George was not immediately received.George previously told ABC News his client acted in self-defense and that Santana was the aggressor. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
More than 400 Indonesian members of Tablighi Jamaat, a worldwide Islamic missionary movement, have been on trial in India over past three days for allegedly violating immigration and quarantine policies in the South Asia country.“On July 14, 150 Indonesians went on trial, followed by 197 people on July 15 and 89 people on July 16,” Foreign Ministry director for citizens protection Judha Nugraha said during a press briefing on Friday.Judha said the 436 Indonesians, who were stranded in India after attending an Islamic gathering, were accused of violating their visas as well as violating the Epidemic Disease Act and, therefore, contributing to the spread of COVID-19. At least 17 states in India have reported COVID-19 cases linked to the religious gathering in Delhi, local media reported.Read also: COVID-19: 361 Indonesian Tablighi Jamaat members return home, others still stranded overseasDuring the court hearing, most of the defendants admitted to the violations but said they never intended to break the law.The judge has yet to hand down a sentence, but according to previous cases in which other Tablighi Jamaat members from other countries were found guilty, the fines ranged from 5,000 rupees (US$ 66.69) to 10,000 rupees.Judha added that the Indonesian government had provided legal assistance to the accused individuals, including by temporarily releasing them on bail.“On July 16, the Indonesian Embassy in New Delhi managed to release 53 Indonesian members of Tablighi Jamaat from prison in Chennai, so they could have better shelter while awaiting trial,” he said.Once the legal proceedings are completed, the Embassy and the Consulate General in Mumbai will facilitate the repatriation process of the Indonesian citizens, Judha added.Topics :