Manitoba manhunt shows lack of resources for missing Indigenous women advocates

first_imgWINNIPEG — Helicopters and a specialized military aircraft scoured from the air while armed police took to the ground over northern Manitoba in a hunt for two suspects of murders in British Columbia.Some advocates say it’s a stark contrast to resources applied to searches for missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.“It is a little bit eyebrow raising because of the different response,” says Sheila North, a former grand chief and advocate for missing and murdered Indigenous women.“The effort that they are going through to try and find them … could trigger a lot of things for people who do their own searches.”The massive manhunt has gripped the country since Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, and Kam McLeod, 19, were named last week as suspects in three killings. University professor Leonard Dyck and Australian Lucas Fowler and his American girlfriend Chynna Deese were found dead earlier this month in northern B.C.North said it’s important the suspects are caught because they could pose a serious risk to the public.But she wonders where the same sense of urgency is when an Indigenous woman or girl can’t be found.North recalls the case of Jennifer Catcheway in 2008. She was last seen in Portage la Prairie, Man. on the night of her 18th birthday. When Wilfred and Bernice Catcheway notified police their daughter was missing, they were told she was probably out partying, North said.For more than a decade, the Catcheways have conducted their own search of rivers, lakes, forests and nearby First Nations.North says she’s also reminded of 51-year-old grandmother, Mildred Flett, who was last seen in Winnipeg in 2010. Her ex-husband has said it was difficult to get police to pay attention to her case.Flett was from the Testaskweyak Cree Nation in Split Lake, Man., where missing person posters of her remain. Schmegelsky and McLeod were spotted in the same community before a vehicle they were travelling in was found in nearby Gillam, leading police to focus their search in that area.North said there are more than 1,200 relatives of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls watching as Mounties do everything they can to find the two murder suspects. They may also be wondering why they couldn’t have received more help, she adds.“Families that do their own searches are feeling a little bit let down and not respected in the same way as these other families are,” she said.Darlene Okemaysim-Sicotte has seen many families struggle to organize searches as the co-chair of Iskwewuk E-wichiwitochik (Women Walking Together), a grassroots group that supports families of missing and murdered Indigenous women in Saskatchewan.Her cousin, Shelley Napope, 16, was murdered by serial killer John Martin Crawford in 1992.Okemaysim-Sicotte says she supports efforts to find Schmegelsky and McLeod and that no life is worth more than another.But the manhunt for them has made it clear that there is the means, money and public support to conduct a large-scale search when needed, she says.Okemaysim-Sicotte hopes people will remember that the next time an Indigenous woman or girl is missing.“The world is watching it, she says.Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Presslast_img read more

Online Startup Fab Sued for Copyright Infringement Unfair Competition

first_img Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own. July 30, 2013 Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global Fab, the popular design oriented online retailer, is heading to court as a competitor with a similar name is suing the company over copyright infringement and what it claims are unfair competitive practices.The lawsuit, filed in California last week by membership-based internet shoe retailer Just Fab, calls Fab’s name “confusingly similar” and asserts that it “intended to capitalize on Just Fab’s goodwill for Fab.com’s own pecuniary gain.” Just Fab asks that Fab be barred from selling any items that compete with its own and to reimburse the company for business lost due to competition and brand confusion.In its defense, Fab says it will aggressively defend its brand. Fab originally launched in 2010 and was called Fabulis, a social network for gay men. Founders Jason Goldberg and Bradford Shellhammer changed the business model and re-named as Fab.com about a year later. Also launched in 2010, Just Fab originally billed itself as Just Fabulous. It was founded by Don Ressler and Adam Goldenberg.The lawsuit comes about a month after Fab closed a $150 million round of financing, bringing total investment in the e-commerce company to $310 million. As Fab looks to expand its business, the company is laying off more than 100 employees in Europe as part of an effort to reduce redundancy in its European and U.S. flash-sales divisions. Seventy employees will be issued pinks slips immediately while the remaining are asked to stay on through the transition. Thirty-six employees will be asked to move to Berlin or New York.Even amid the layoffs, Fab is hiring for 70 unfilled positions in the U.S. Europe and India, the company says.Related: 10 Questions to Ask Before Naming Your Business Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. 2 min read Register Now »last_img read more

ATT and other telcos to suspend selling customer location data after Motherboards

first_imgOn Thursday, AT&T said in a statement to WSJ that it will stop selling customers’ location data to third-party service following a report published by Motherboard. This recent investigation by Motherboard disclosed that how selling location information by telecom companies can eventually reach the wrong hands putting customer’s privacy and safety in danger. What Motherboard’s investigation revealed? Motherboard’s investigation revealed that many telecommunication companies like T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint are selling users’ real-time location data that can ultimately reach the wrong hands like stalkers or criminals. This investigation showed that mobile networks and the data they generate are not as secure as we want them to be. Telecom companies in US sell user’s location data to other companies, who are called location aggregators. These companies can then sell this information to their clients and industries. This basically forms a complex supply chain of data that shares user’s most sensitive data. And, in some cases telecommunication companies, which are the originators, may not even have any idea how this data is being used by the eventual end user. A similar scenario happened in May last year, when Sen. Ron Wyden in a letter to FCC revealed that Securus, Verizon’s indirect corporate customer had used its customer location data to effectively allow officers to spy on millions of Americans. As a reply, Verizon filed a letter saying that it is ending its data-sharing agreement with LocationSmart and Zumigo. Following that AT&T and Sprint also announced that they are cutting ties with location aggregators. How the companies reacted? AT&T in a statement said, “In light of recent reports about the misuse of location services, we have decided to eliminate all location aggregation services — even those with clear consumer benefits. We are immediately eliminating the remaining services and will be done in March.”  John Legere, T-Mobile chief executive tweeted that his organization will also completely end the location aggregator work in March: Sprint responded to WSJ, “Protecting our customers’ privacy and security is a top priority, and we are transparent about that in our Privacy Policy. We do not knowingly share personally identifiable geolocation information except with customer consent or in response to a lawful request such as a validated court order from law enforcement.” A victory for privacy advocates Sen. Ron Wyden believes that telecom companies cannot just put the blame on the third-party companies. He remarked that we need to enforce strong legislations to ensure our data is secure. He said, “Congress needs to pass strong legislation to protect Americans’ privacy and finally hold corporations accountable when they put your safety at risk by letting stalkers and criminals track your phone on the dark web.”  Sen. Kamala D. Harris called for an immediate investigation by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) against this case. She also feels that this is a major threat to user security, “I’m extraordinarily troubled by reports of this system of repackaging and reselling location data to unregulated third party services for potentially nefarious purposes. If true, this practice represents a legitimate threat to our personal and national security.” One of the users in a MetaFilter discussion said, “The greatest thing that U.S. law needs in the age of privacy concerns is a broadening of the category referred to in the law as “innkeepers and common carriers,” which is basically an olde-tyme recognition that there are sorts of private businesses that are central enough to everyday life and serve such a purpose as to need to be held to a higher duty of care than others. Cell phones, social media, and bank records all should fall under this duty of care in any sensible modern society.” Read Next FCC grants Google the approval for deploying Soli, their radar-based hand motion sensor Mozilla v. FCC: Mozilla challenges FCC’s elimination of net neutrality protection rules Spammy bots most likely influenced FCC’s decision on net neutrality repeal, says a new Stanford studylast_img read more

DRs hot tourism streak rolls on with 20000 new hotel rooms on

first_img TORONTO — Following the news that it welcomed a record number of Canadians in 2017, the Dominican Republic has announced a slew of new developments across the island.The country has begun a US$195 million development in the Southwest region of Los Corbanitos, Baní called Playa de Puntarena Hotel and Condominiums featuring brand new hotels, luxury apartments, a recreation area, bars, restaurants and a marina. A highway beginning in Santo Domingo will be extended to the Southwest in order to increase tourism connectivity from the capital city.In the South, the Perla de Sur project will bring 1,200 hotel rooms over multiple stages in the coming years. The first stage will be ‘La Casita’ and ‘La Casita Village’, a series of boutique hotels, all featuring an eco-friendly design. The final phase will include a marina and convention centre.A new AMResorts property is coming to Macao, comprising three hotels, a convention centre, green areas, sports facilities and a total of 2,313 rooms.More news:  Sunwing ready to launch Mazatlán-Quebec City direct this winterIn addition, Club Med is set to begin development of a hotel project named ‘Miches’ in Altamira. Upon completion in 2019, it will be a 5-Trident rated resort, the highest in the Club med resort rankings, and will offer 343 rooms.Even more accommodations are planned over the next few years – 20,000 hotel rooms, to be exact. Additional rooms will debut over the next years throughout Punta Cana, Bayahibe, Puerto Plata, Samaná and Santo Domingo. This number will add to the current 69,000 hotel rooms available in the country, said the Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism.In 2017, a record 837,000 Canadians visited the DR and the numbers show no signs of wavering in 2018. In January and February of this tour, a total of 1,126,776 international tourists were reported, a 4% year-over-year increase from the same two months in 2017. Of this number, 60% were from North America, 25% from Europe, 12% from south America and 2.5 from Central America and the Caribbean.More news:  AMResorts has a new Sr. Dir. of Cdn. Sales & Consortia Rel’nsNorth American travellers grew by 5.3% when compared to the same period in 2017, with the majority travelling from Canada and the U.S.In 2017, cruise arrivals to Puerto Plata exceeded 1.46 million, the highest on record, according to the Ministry of Tourism Cruise Department.Minister of tourism Francisco Javier Garciá highlighted the country’s impressive tourism numbers at the International Tourism Fair in Berlin (ITB). He said the tourism sector is steadily increasing and as a result, the country opened 8,400 new hotel rooms over the past year, with another 15,000 under construction. Share Posted by Tags: Dominican Republic, Openings & Renovations Travelweek Group center_img D.R.’s hot tourism streak rolls on, with 20,000 new hotel rooms on the way << Previous PostNext Post >> Tuesday, April 3, 2018 last_img read more