The government has introduced new Coronavirus regulations to parliament that set out the narrow circumstances under which evictions can take place.On 5 November, the Government said renters would be protected during the second national restrictions with no bailiff enforcement action, except for the most ‘egregious cases’ such as anti-social behavior.The statement also said that an exemption would be introduced for extreme pre-Covid rent arrears cases, which has have become law today.Called The Public Health (Coronavirus) (Protection from Eviction and Taking Control of Goods) (England) Regulations 2020, they reveal that tenants who have more than nine months’ rent arrears before March 24th this year can now be evicted, if a landlord or letting agent has a possession order already approved by the courts.Evictions hopeThe news gives many desperate landlords facing tenants who owe thousand of pounds in rent a glimmer of hope.But tenant must have built up nine months or more of rent arrears before the Covid pandemic began in late March, meaning many landlords will have already been waiting for 17 or 18 months before being allowed to evict.Paul Shamplina (pictured), founder of Landlord Action says: “This is very welcome news for those landlords whose tenants had stopped paying rent months prior to the pandemic and, until now, had been given carte blanche to continue living rent free.“However, there are concerns about how long it will take those landlords, whose arrears cases fall short of the Government’s definition of “substantial” i.e. nine months, to regain possession.“Put simply, landlords are not banks or the welfare state. In fact, banks get their money back, but landlords are expected to swallow these losses.”The other more standard reasons why evictions can proceed include trespass, a tenant’s death, a vacant property and anti-social behaviour.The National Residential Landlords Association says that this is a missed opportunity to help those tenants in financial difficulty due to Covid-19. It does nothing to address housing debt accrued since the beginning of the pandemic.Read the regulations in full.covid evictions bailiff evictions Paul Shamplina November 17, 2020Nigel LewisOne commentJulian Blackmore, BNE BNE 17th November 2020 at 9:38 amThis has just been a government problem deferment scheme onto the cash cow middle classes; they think of it like a landlord covid crisis contribution – no rent for 9 months+ and not much chance of ever getting it either. The gov should allow landlords to claim it all back from them.Log in to ReplyWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021 Home » News » Finally! Government releases details of rules when evictions can proceed previous nextRegulation & LawFinally! Government releases details of rules when evictions can proceedLandlords facing huge losses and non-paying tenants can now evict under a limited number of circumstances including nine months’ rent arrears.Nigel Lewis17th November 20201 Comment2,671 Views
(BBC) – World number 19 Grigor Dimitrov, who played in both of Novak Djokovic’s recent Adria Tour events, has tested positive for coronavirus.The Bulgarian, 29, withdrew from the second tournament in Zadar, Croatia on Saturday with sickness after his opening loss to Borna Coric.“I am so sorry for any harm I might have caused,” he said.Sunday’s final, which would have featured world number one Djokovic, has been cancelled.Dimitrov, who also played in the first event in Belgrade last week, wrote on Instagram: “I tested positive back in Monaco for Covid-19. I want to make sure anyone who has been in contact with me during these past days gets tested and takes the necessary precautions.“I am back home now and recovering. Thanks for your support and please stay safe and healthy.”The tournaments were set up by world number one Djokovic to help players get back to match fitness after several weeks without competition because of the coronavirus pandemic. Several top-10 players have been competing including Djokovic, Alexander Zverev and Dominic Thiem.The first event in Serbia attracted 4,000 fans, and several thousand attended in Zadar.With both Serbia and Croatia easing lockdown measures before the events, players were not obliged to observe social distancing rules in either country and were seen embracing at the net at the end of their matchesPictures on the tournament’s social media from three days ago show Dimitrov playing basketball with Djokovic, Zverev and Marin Cilic, while he also put his arm around Coric before their match.Djokovic’s coach and event director Goran Ivanisevic told fans courtside the final was off because of Dimitrov’s positive test.Tournament organisers said the final was cancelled “as a precaution and to protect the health of all participants and visitors”.A statement read: “At all times we have strictly followed the epidemiological measures in place with the countries where the Adria Tour was organised.“None of the people involved in the organisation and who have been in contact with Grigor have any symptoms.“However, we are in close contact with health authorities in order to insure that all people who were in contact with Grigor will be tested tonight. Since we do not want to risk, we decided to cancel the final match.”There have been no professional tennis events organised by the main men’s and women’s tours since March because of the coronavirus pandemic.The US Open will be held without fans from 31 August to 13 September, despite some players voicing concerns about travelling to New York.There have been handshakes and hugs. They have got up close and personal to play football and basketball, and celebrated the end of the first leg in Belgrade with some improvised limbo dancing in a nightclub.Crowds were made welcome by the authorities, but that does not mean social distancing should have been abandoned by the players, who had arrived from various different locations for the Adria Tour series.And then onwards to others. Dominic Thiem, who was part of the show in Belgrade last week, has been playing in the Ultimate Tennis Showdown in the south of France this weekend.Most of those on the Adria Tour have sounded distinctly lukewarm about the prospect of travelling to New York for the US Open – and it has not been hard to empathise with some of their concerns.But when watching the pictures from Belgrade and now Zadar, the feeling is simply one of bemusement.
The Red Sox apparently want a new backup catcher.Boston is actively discussing possible trades of Sandy Leon, according to ESPN. His hitting, though, may just be too poor for the Red Sox to hang on to him.And with Blake Swihart still on the roster with little room for playing time, the team may be trying to get him more at-bats and more appearances behind the plate by dealing Leon.Christian Vazquez will likely be the team’s starter this season. MLB hot stove: Brewers seriously interested in Craig Kimbrel, report says Ichiro retires: Baseball legend bids farewell in Tokyo The Red Sox are actively discussing possible trades of catcher Sandy Leon, @MarlyRiveraESPN and I have heard from sources.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) March 21, 2019Leon batted .177 with five home runs and 22 RBIs for the Red Sox last year while throwing out 25.7 percent of baserunners.Where Leon makes his money though is with his pitch framing. The 30-year-old was seventh in MLB with 11.6 framing runs in 2018, according to Baseball Prosectus. Related News
A fourth Formula One world championship remains firmly within Lewis Hamilton’s grasp but he was given a salutary reminder of just how hard he has had to fight for it by Sebastian Vettel in qualifying for the Mexican Grand Prix. Vettel stormed to pole with an exceptional lap, while Hamilton could manage only third, with Max Verstappen putting in a remarkable lap for Red Bull to claim second place.However the British driver needs only to finish fifth or better to claim the title on Sunday. If he does take his fourth championship he will become the most successful British racing driver, with one more than Sir Jackie Stewart.For the large part of the season it has been a nip and tuck battle between Hamilton and Vettel, with the German leading until the 13th round at Monza. However the championship slipped from his grasp over the course of three races: two DNFs in Singapore and Japan and a fourth place in Malaysia.In Mexico he confirmed the potential his car had shown in those races was real and that he is still able to take the fight to Mercedes, albeit it is likely to be too late. His lap for pole was reminder of just how tight the title fight might have been without that three-race swing in Hamilton’s favour.Hamilton accepted he had simply been unable to match the pace of his competitors but remained optimistic for the race. “Pole position was the goal but just wasn’t meant to be,” he said. “It was so close in practice which is exciting and brings a lot of pressure, but this wasn’t the best qualifying session of this year.“I think the gap is a couple of tenths more, it is is a significant gap. Their car is working better this weekend but we are still in the fight and our long-run pace is much better. The Recap: sign up for the best of the Guardian’s sport coverage … we have a small favour to ask. More people, like you, are reading and supporting the Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we made the choice to keep our reporting open for all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We hope you will consider supporting us today. We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism that’s open and independent. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. “Our race pace is good but you can’t overtake here and positioning is important but it is a long run down to turn one so we should have some fun tomorrow.”It is Vettel’s fourth pole this year, having already secured the top spot in Russia, Hungary and Singapore and he delivered it with a consummate lap to match some of his very best. His time of 1.16.488 smashed the lap record of 1.18.704 Hamilton had set in qualifying last year. He was just eight hundredths in front of Verstappen but a full four tenths up on the British driver.Overtaking is hard on the circuit anyway and with low tyre degradation the race will be a one-stopper making opportunities for passing even more limited. Hamilton has said he wants to claim his title with a win but may have to accept that simply staying out of trouble and taking the points he needs will be enough.He has shown maturity and composure already this season in ensuring he avoided any potentially race-ending clashes with Verstappen in Malaysia and Vettel in the US and can be expected to do the same here.For Vettel, however, to have any chance of staying in the fight he must win and has placed himself in the best possible position to do so with his 50th pole. “It is a big number and I am very happy with today,” he said. “Before qualifying it did not look that way, so I surprised myself. Every session has been tough, so this is very rewarding, but overall it is a great achievement. I knew if I got the first sector together I would have a better chance and I was able to build on that. When I saw how much I was up when I crossed the line, I thought it would be enough and then it was like an explosion in the car.”The high altitude of the Mexico City track creates low drag but also low downforce making the cars tricky to set up to take advantage of the long straights but maximise performance through the tight technical sections.Vettel had it hooked up to perfection under huge pressure from Verstappen who was also in exceptional form. But Vettel’s final run in Q3 pushed the car to the limit and in doing so put in a lap that shows just how far Ferrari have come in the latter part of the season.Vettel needs the win but the attention will be on Hamilton. He has been going about the business of the weekend with the same composed attention to detail that has seen him win nine races this season, and six of the last eight.It has earned him a 66-point lead over his championship rival and brought him to within a whisker of the title which, despite being off the pace in qualifying, he will still be confident of securing .Hamilton’s team-mate Valtteri Bottas was in fourth, in front of the Ferrari of Kimi Raikkonen and the Force India of Esteban Ocon, with Daniel Ricciardo’s Red Bull in seventh. The home favourite, Sergio Pérez, finished in 10th place with the Renaults of Nico Hülkenberg and Carlos Sainz Jr in eighth and ninth respectively.McLaren’s engine woes continued and although Fernando Alonso was in 14th he will start at the back end of the grid with his team-mate Stoffel Vandoorne, who was in 15th, after both drivers took grid penalties for replacing powerunit components. McLaren opted not to set times in Q2 for either driver.Brendon Hartley in the Toro Rosso suffered a loss of power and had to retire in Q2 in 13th, behind the two Williams of Felipe Massa and Lance Stroll.Sauber’s Marcus Ericsson and Pascal Wehrlein were in 16th and 17th, in front of Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean in the two Haas cars and Toro Rosso’s Pierre Gasly, who did not set a time due to the team changing the engine but is allowed to race. He also has a 15-place grid penalty for replacing powerunit components. Support The Guardian Share on Facebook Lewis Hamilton Share on Twitter Motor sport Share on LinkedIn Since you’re here… Share via Email Topics The Observer Share on WhatsApp Share on Messenger Read more Formula One Share on Pinterest Formula One 2017 news Reuse this content