Detectives in Derry say they are treating last nights shooting in the Waterside area as attempted murder.A man in his 30s is recovering in hospital after sustaining an injury to his foot after two masked men entered the property on Margaret Street.During the incident a 58 year old man was also shot at but was uninjured.Police believe the suspects may have fled the scene in a car.The gunman is described as being of medium to heavy build, and had his face covered while the second masked man is said to have been of a thinner build.There were three other occupants in the house at the time of the shooting.Detective Inspector Michael Winters says they are working to establish a motive for what he has described as a merciless attack.He is appealing to anyone who was in Margaret Street between 8:40pm and 8:50pm last night and saw anything believed to be connected to what happened – any suspicious vehicles, or people acting suspiciously to contact detectives at Strand Road on 101 quoting reference number 1838 08/10/19 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR By News Highland – October 9, 2019 Google+ Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty WhatsApp Homepage BannerNews Facebook Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Pinterest Police treating Derry shooting as attempted murder WhatsApp Google+ Twitter Facebook Harps come back to win in Waterford DL Debate – 24/05/21 Previous articleBrexit was used as an excuse not to invest in communities – PringleNext articleDeclan Bonner – Tyrone is a mouth watering prospect News Highland Pinterest Twitter
How to feed 10 billion by midcentury What we eat and why we eat it Ph.D. students explore the culture and science of food in the Veritalk podcast Increasing red meat consumption, especially of processed meats, is linked with a higher risk of premature death Plan on less meat, more plants, and … err … pass the crickets, panelists suggest The Daily Gazette Sign up for daily emails to get the latest Harvard news. Put down those cold cuts Some Burger Kings recently introduced a new version of the iconic Whopper with its signature flame-broiled beef patty swapped for a meatless replica that the company claims is virtually indistinguishable from the real thing.It’s called the Impossible Whopper, and it’s the latest iteration of the trend of vegan food intended to appeal to the average consumer. So appealing is it, in fact, that the restaurant intends to roll out the new take on its signature sandwich in all 7,200 stores nationwide by the end of this year. White Castle has been selling a slider version of the Impossible Burger in its almost 400 stores since last year. In January, more than 1,000 Carl’s Jr. restaurants started offering a vegetarian burger made by Beyond Meat, which, like the Impossible Burger, tries to replicate real beef. It even appears to bleed. Restaurants and supermarkets also stock the products.“What this is, is the mainstreaming process,” said Nina Gheihman, a Ph.D. candidate in sociology at Harvard’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS). She researches how veganism, a historically marginal practice, has become a popular lifestyle choice as the demand for healthier, more sustainable food has grown in recent years. “Especially in the past three to five years, veganism has really transformed from this fringe animal-rights movement into a lifestyle movement,” she said.It has done so by shifting from a strategy focused on convincing consumers to abandon animal products for ethical reasons to using technology to satisfy those meat cravings, Gheihman said.When it comes to meat, the idea is to get people to give it up without feeling like they’re giving it up. The leaders in this field are the vegan tech companies looking to mimic and replace meat and other animal products using one of two approaches: plant-based or cell-based.The plant-based “meat” approach, led by companies like Impossible Foods, the one behind the Impossible Burger, and Beyond Meat, both based in California, combines high-protein vegetables like peas and soybeans to replicate the taste, texture, and look of meat. The “blood” in the Beyond Meat burger, for example, is beet juice. The meatlike texture and taste of the Impossible Burger comes from genetically modified yeast that is used to create the burger’s central ingredient, soy leghemoglobin, or “heme.”The cell-based approach, led by companies like Memphis Meats and Mosa Meat, is science fiction made real in a laboratory. Workers take cells from animals like cows, chicken, or turkeys and grow specific products in a culture dish — steak, chicken breast, or turkey nuggets. It is real meat but producing it does not harm animals.The two approaches differ in strategy, but the underlying key is creating a product indistinguishable from the original.“What’s happening is that these companies are saying, ‘We’re not going to appeal any more to just vegans,’” Gheihman said. “‘Instead we’re appealing to the omnivores; we’re appealing to the average person. … We’re going to create this thing that you’re already consuming. It’s just going to be plant-based or cell-based.’”The plant-based strategy has been gaining traction in the U.S. According to a 2017 Nielsen Homescan survey, 39 percent of Americans are trying to consume more plant-based foods, and it’s showing on their grocery lists. Meat alternatives posted a 30 percent growth in U.S. sales between April 2017 and April 2018, according to Nielsen, while traditional plant-based options like tofu trended down by 1.3 percent in the same period. Plant-based cheese, yogurt, pizza, and noodles showed similar growth to meat alternatives.Cell-based (or “clean”) meat is still in development, but it’s expected to hit the market as early as 2021. Its potential is promising, with initial testers saying it provides virtually the same taste as meat but without the ethical dilemmas around the treatment of animals or the environmental effects of raising livestock, which, according to a 2006 UN Report, is responsible for approximately 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions — not to mention air and water pollution and high energy consumption.While both approaches show promise in terms of human and planetary health, healthy-diet researcher Frank Hu, from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, says there is a need to keep a watchful eye on these products.“The current effort to produce more plant-based protein food like the Impossible Burger and some other plant options, I think that is in a good direction,” said Hu, the Fredrick J. Stare Professor of Nutrition and Epidemiology and chair of the Department of Nutrition. “I think it could have potential benefits in improving the health of humans in the world. Of course, the data on the products like the Impossible Burger or other types of [similar] veggie burgers is still very limited. I think it’s very important to monitor the trends of the consumption patterns in the population and also monitor the health effects of those products, because some of those products, even though they contain high amounts of plant-based protein, may also contain unhealthy ingredients, such as high amounts of sodium or unhealthy fats. Being plant-based doesn’t necessarily mean it’s healthier.”As for cell-based meat, Hu said it is too a new phenomenon to have reliable data, so its effects on humans are currently unknown. “At this point, there is no data whatsoever because it’s at such an early stage,” he said.Hu also noted the high production costs of both plant-based meat and clean meat, which currently translate to the consumer but are expected to lower with time.The vegan trend has not lost touch with its origins in the animal-rights movement, it just embraces them in a subtler, pragmatic way while at the same time tapping into people’s desire for sustainability and good health.“It’s sexy; it’s aspirational; it’s desirable,” Gheihman said. “And it’s been framed in that way. … I think it really is shifting the perception of the average person. With the rise of social media and documentaries, a lot more people are more informed about what they’re putting into their bodies in terms of its costs both for them from a health perspective and for animals and the environment.”,Related
The Croatian National Tourist Board has published a Call for expressions of interest for the implementation of the “Sports Croatia” project for 2019. This Call plans, through special marketing and PR cooperation on top sports projects, to establish partnerships with organizers of top international sports competitions in Croatia and top Croatian athletes in order to further promote in the emitting markets, the CNTB points out.”With top sports projects, we want to raise awareness of Croatia as an attractive tourist destination with a diverse tourist offer throughout the year and thus influence the increase in demand for Croatian tourist products, increase tourist traffic and ultimately increase general consumption,” said the director of the Croatian National Tourist Board, Kristjan Staničić, adding that the “Sports Croatia” project combines tourism and sports, which is what makes Croatia the most recognizable in the world.Interested partners are required to submit an application and their own presentation of cooperation proposals with a detailed presentation of each proposed activity by e-mail to [email protected] no later than Friday, December 21, 2018.The final decision on the selection of partners for the implementation of strategic promotional campaigns will be made by the CNTB Tourist Board.The text of the Call with all detailed information is available in the attachment:Attachment: Call for expressions of interest for the implementation of the project “Sports Croatia” in 2019 has been published
What happened?Since early May, hundreds of Indian and Chinese soldiers have confronted each other at three locations along their border, each side accusing the other of trespassing.The clashes at Galwan took place on Monday night even as both armies were trying to de-escalate the stand-off, with military commanders having met for talks in recent days.During discussions, soldiers from China’s People’s Liberation Army turned on a group of Indian troops, which included an officer, attacking them with iron rods and stones, an Indian government source said.No shots had been fired, the source said.India’s foreign ministry spokesman Anurag Srivastava said that the “violent face-off” was the result of an attempt by the Chinese side to unilaterally change the status quo.Chinese officials said that Indian troops had twice crossed the Line of Actual Control (LAC), the de facto border, and launched an attack, triggering a fierce physical confrontation.Zhao Lijian, a Chinese foreign ministry spokesman, said that “the Indian side severely violated our consensus and twice crossed the border line and provoked and attacked the Chinese forces.”Why now?Military experts say one reason for the current face-off is that India has been building roads and airfields to improve connectivity and narrow the gap with China’s superior infrastructure on its side of the LAC.At Galwan, India completed a road leading to an airfield last October. This was opposed by China, which asked India to stop all construction.India says it is operating on its side of the LAC.History of clashesA past agreement between the two sides stipulates patrols should not open fire near the LAC. Violent, high-altitude disputes have erupted several times without guns being involved.The deaths were the first since a major border clash in 1967 between the nuclear-armed neighbors, which are also the world’s two most populous countries. Hundreds were killed in those battles.Both countries claim vast swathes of each other’s territory along their Himalayan border, with some disagreements rooted in demarcations by British colonial administrators of India.India and China fought a brief but bloody border war in 1962 and distrust has occasionally led to flare-ups ever since. Infrastructure building near or within disputed territories is often blamed for increases in tensions.The LAC is largely based on the ceasefire line after the war in 1962, but both sides disagree on where it lies.The last major dispute took place in 2017 on the remote Doklam plateau near the borders of India, Bhutan, and China, at the eastern end of the 4,056 kilometer long border. After a tense standoff both sides agreed to an “expeditious disengagement” of troops, according to India’s foreign ministry. Here are the key details:Where was the fighting? The clashes took place at a disputed border site in the Galwan area of Ladakh, in the western Himalayas, where Indian and Chinese troops have been facing off. The area is at an altitude of around 14,000 feet, where temperatures often fall to under zero degrees Celsius.The disputed site lies amid remote jagged mountains and fast flowing rivers on the northern tip of India, abutting the Aksai Chin plateau that is claimed by India but is administered by China. Topics : The Indian army has said at least 20 of its soldiers were killed after hand-to-hand fighting with Chinese troops at a disputed border site on Monday night, in the deadliest clash between the two Asian giants in decades.China said its troops were engaged in a “violent physical confrontation” with Indian soldiers, but has given no details of those killed or wounded.The Indian army and India’s foreign ministry have said both sides suffered casualties after their troops clashed, even as the two countries were trying to resolve a weeks-long border standoff.
From the NZ Crime and Safety Survey 2009 published by the Ministry of Justice last December, and which the NZ Herald quoted from…Table B11: Factors associated with the risk of confrontational crime by current partners in 2008 So that’s 40% male victims, 60% female victimsTable B12: Factors associated with the risk of confrontational crime by family members / ex-partners in 2008 For ex-partner and family members violence So that’s 48% male victims, 52% female victimsBut let’s look at marital status – which is the safest family structure to be in?For partner violence Perhaps the focus should be on family structure, rather than gender!I rest my case.
Share Share NewsRegional Largest Caribbean refinery in USVI to close by: – January 19, 2012 Tweet Share 26 Views one comment Sharing is caring! USVI Governor John de Jongh. Photo credit: nevisblog.comST CROIX, USVI — The Caribbean’s largest oil refinery in St Croix, US Virgin Islands, is to close down by mid-February because of reduced fuel demand and increased international competition.The Hovensa refinery is a joint venture between the Hess Corporation and Petroleos de Venezuela SA. Losses at the 350,000 barrel-a-day facility have totalled $1.3 billion in the past three years, the company said on Wednesday in a statement. USVI Governor John de Jongh described the announcement as “a complete body blow” for the territory. He said Hovensa generated some $60 million a year in revenue for the local government, which already faces a budget crisis.“Given what we’re going through right now, this is the last bit of news that I wanted to hear,” de Jongh said in a media teleconference.The refinery will be converted to an oil storage terminal, said Brian Lever, president and chief operating officer of Hovensa LLC.“We deeply regret the closure of the Hovensa refinery and the impact on our dedicated people,” Lever said. “We explored all available options to avoid this outcome, but severe financial losses left us with no other choice.”The Hovensa refinery employs 1,200 workers with another 950 contract employees at the site, Alex Moorhead, a Hovensa spokesman, said. About 100 people will be retained to operate the terminal, he said.By Caribbean News Now contributor