QUIZ: Are You Ready To Leave Home For College?

first_imgLeaving home to go away to school is a big step. Are you ready to take on that challenge? Take our quiz and see if you are ready to take the leap of faith and go away to school![playbuzz-item url=”//www.playbuzz.com/emilyd67/are-you-ready-to-leave-home-to-college”] Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York last_img

2 drown in Bacolod flashflood

first_imgThe body of the 5-month-old boy, whose house was swept away in Barangay Taculing, Bacolod City on March 6, 2020, was found by a seashell gatherer the following morning in Barangay 35. Photo courtesy by Bacolod Police Station 1 Five-month-old Jake Lorence Tortogo ofPurok Malinong, Barangay Taculing was found dead along the shore of PurokMalipayon, Barangay 35 on Saturday. BACOLOD City – Two persons died inflashfloods following heavy rains here on March 6. Seven family members were able to swimto safety while Jake Lorence disappeared in the water. On March 7, 55-year-old JosephineJoven of Barangay Mandalagan was found along the Riverwalk in Barangay VistaAlegre. She was believed to be a drowning victim, too.center_img The Tortogo family’s house was near ariver that overflowed. Joven was a caretaker of a house atVilla Angela Subdivision, Barangay Vilalmonte. Witnesses said she was swept bythe strong current of the river in the barangay while crossing./PN The water swept the house away onFriday, according to Executive Assistant Jomarie Vargas, cluster headof the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office.last_img read more

Dining hall policy elicits criticism

first_imgAfter a large decrease in dining hall supplies because of theft, USC Hospitality is working to address students who take utensils, serving dishes and food from the dining halls.Earlier this month, USC Hospitality posted signs informing students that they could face $100 fines for taking serving supplies or food from the residential dining halls, with the exception of fruit or ice cream. Though students have been reported this year, as of now, none have received a monetary punishment, according to Director of USC Hospitality Kris Klinger.Though the policy has been in place for several years, the decision to reiterate it comes on the heels of a sharp decrease in serving supplies, according to Klinger.“We ordered enough to get through the entire day,” Klinger said. “Right now we can’t get through an entire meal service.”Many students said they understand the concerns about removing serving supplies, but believe that they should be able to take food with them.“I don’t mind not taking silverware and obviously that costs them money to replace,” said Gilles De Prevoisin, a freshman majoring in chemistry. “But the food is going to be there regardless.”Klinger said, however, that the concern is largely because of students who take large amounts of food from the dining halls.“Some students are bringing their backpacks in and have been caught putting loaves of bread and half-gallons of soymilk in their backpacks under the assumption that it is a grocery store as well,” Klinger said. “So those are the kind of concerns that caused us to have to post the fines to remind everybody that that is not OK.”Many students said because their meal plans allow for unlimited swipes, students should be able to take food out of the hall. Several students said their class schedule does not allow them to sit down for a meal in the dining hall, causing them to take food to go.“I think they should let us take sandwiches,” said Giovana Rodrigues, a freshman majoring in business. “In between classes, I don’t have a lot of time so I have to wait until 3:30 [p.m.] without eating.”last_img read more