Juventus have signed Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid in a shock £99.2million deal, the Italian champions have confirmed.The 33-year-old star has been at the club since 2009 and is their all-time top goalscorer, having netted an incredible 451 times in 438 games.“Today, Real Madrid wants to express its gratitude to a player who has proved to be the best in the world and who has marked one of the brightest times in the history of our club and world football,” a statement on the website read. 2 2 The Portugal legend has penned a four-year contract with the Turin side, who confirmed they have paid around £99.2m (€112m), payable over two financial years, for him. Ronaldo has won four of his five Champions League winners medals with Real Madrid Ronaldo spent six years as a Man United player [email protected] https://t.co/vzGBI3d8kh #CR7JUVE pic.twitter.com/UB7BwBdDWe— JuventusFC (@juventusfcen) July 10, 2018Ronaldo joined Real from Manchester United in what was then a world record £80m transfer and during his time at the club, he won four Champions League trophies – three of them consecutively – and two league titles.“For Real Madrid Cristiano Ronaldo will always be one of his great symbols and a unique reference for the next generations. Real Madrid will always be your home,” the statement finished with.Last season, the club finished 17 points behind LaLiga rivals Barcelona, with manager Zinedine Zidane stepping aside at the end of the campaign to be replaced by Julen Lopetegui, who left his job as Spain boss, two days before their first World Cup game.And on Twitter, former Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira, now of Juventus posted on Twitter: “Welcome to Turin, Cristiano. We had a great time together in Madrid, I can‘t wait to get back to work with you! Today is a special day for Juventus.” Benvenuto a Torino, Cristiano 🏴🏳 We had a great time together in Madrid, I can‘t wait to get back to work with you! Today is a special day for @juventusfc! 💪🏽 #FinoAllaFine #ForzaJuve #SK6 @cristiano pic.twitter.com/iU4ULPeHmg— Sami Khedira (@SamiKhedira) July 10, 2018Ronaldo began his career at Portuguese club Sporting before joining United in 2003 and it was at Old Trafford where he set about becoming the superstar he is today.“He didn’t arrive at Manchester United as someone who was setting the tone for everybody else,” Gary Neville told talkSPORT in 2016. “It wasn’t a case of he came in and all of a sudden everyone else upped their game, that’s not how it was.“He became that out of what was in that dressing room. Cristiano was butchered and battered for two or three years at Manchester United and he has said it made him a man.“He was setting the standards when he left, and he became someone who would come in and do half an hour before training and an hour after training, but there had been 20 players per season for 15 years doing that every day. “The club, and Sir Alex [Ferguson], and the players all set the tone for each other. If you look at his performances in the first two or three years, his maturity, his decision making, his physicality, his petulance, they were all smoothed out over a period of three or four years at the club.”In a trophy laden career so far, which has also brought an incredible five Ballon d’Or awards, Ronaldo has scored 658 goals for club and country and is second on the all time list of international goal scorers with 85 for Portugal.Juventus have won Serie A for the last seven seasons and were beaten 4-1 by a Real Madrid team containing Ronaldo in the 2017 Champions League final. The Italian side are now set to beat their own transfer record, set in 2016, when they paid Napoli £75m for Gonzalo Higuain.
Frank Robinson, a trailblazer who forged his own path from the playgrounds of West Oakland to baseball immortality, died Thursday after a long battle with bone cancer. He was 83.The Hall of Fame outfielder had been in hospice care for the past few months and passed away in Los Angeles, almost 45 years after he made baseball history by becoming its first African-American manager with the Cleveland Indians.Robinson is mostly remembered in the Bay Area for managing the Giants from 1981-84, when …
11 April 2008The time-frame for the Alexandra Renewal Project (ARP), a programme to develop one of Johannesburg’s oldest townships, has been extended to 2010.The project, launched by President Thabo Mbeki in February 2001, was to be implemented over a period of seven years. The estimated budget for the ARP at that time was R1.3-billion, an amount that was projected to be provided by the City of Johannesburg, Gauteng province and the private sector.However, because of “huge demand for adequate shelter and prolonged land acquisition processes”, the project has been extended for another two years, according to Nomvula Mokonyane, the province’s housing MEC who was speaking at the ARP’s political steering committee meeting attended by the City of Johannesburg executive mayor Amos Masondo in Alexandra on Wednesday, 9 April.The purpose of the steering committee is to exercise political oversight and decision-making in the implementation of the project.At the meeting, Mokonyane and Masondo said the mandate of the ARP involves dealing with historical urban decay and deprivation in terms of infrastructure as well as human development in the township.‘Black spot’Established in 1912, Alexandra covers an area of over 800 hectares, including Old Alexandra Proper, the East Bank, the Far East Bank, Marlboro industrial area, Wynberg, Kew and Marlboro Gardens.Since its inception, Alexandra has had a long and chequered history. In 1948, under apartheid, the township became a “black spot” and residents were threatened with complete removal. Freehold title was abolished and some families were removed, leaving the majority as tenants of the government.During the 1980s, Alexandra was characterised by both conflict and development. There were long school boycotts and clashes with the apartheid government, but the period also saw Alex roads being tarred for the first time, new houses built and nearly 50 new blocks of flats.Rapid urbanisationOriginally, the infrastructure in Alexandra was designed for a population of about 70 000 people but due to a population boom as people from within South Africa and neighbouring countries came to the area seeking employment opportunities, the township is now home to an estimated 350 000 to 400 000 people living in very crowded conditions.After Mbeki’s announcement in 2001, the first phase of the project involved moving 11 000 residents from the banks of the Juskei River, where they were in danger of flooding every year. The displaced residents were moved to Braamfischerville in Soweto and Diepsloot, north of Randburg.On 3 and 4 December 2004, a summit was held in the township to report back on and review the achievements of the ARP. The summit recorded that some progress had been made accommodating Alex’s homeless people. Approximately 1 200 houses had been built since 2001 in Extension 8 and the Reconstruction Area, with more housing construction in Marlboro Gardens, Westlake and Frankenwald projects yielding 5 300 rental housing units.The project also recorded success in the construction and upgrading of road infrastructure in Alex.‘One huge construction site’In 2006 with about 16 months before the seven-year period announced by Mbeki elapsed, the incumbent ARP director, Julian Baskin, noted that the project will need “a lifetime” to complete. He said the initial costs of the project were not feasible and the total costs of providing RDP houses to 22 000 families in need of accommodation in Alexandra amounted to well over R1.9-billion. And this did not include provision of roads, water, sanitation, schools, clinics, magistrates offices and police stations.Today, Alexandra is “one huge construction site”, as Baskin put it, with 27 active projects underway. Work to refurbish Alex’s old M1 and M2 hostels is almost complete and several schools have been built, including Ekukhanyisweni Primary School. A business centre to stimulate Alex’s economy has been established and new shopping malls are sprouting up including the R80-million Alex Plaza.The meeting acknowledged the progress that the ARP has registered on the ground and the many projects that are at an advanced stage. Mokonyane and Masondo hailed the ARP as a success story, given the inroads it has made in improving the local community’s quality of life.On the issue of safety and security in the township, the meeting came up with mechanisms to tackle crime. A resolution was made to build a police station in the Far East Bank. It was also agreed that ward councillors should play a critical role in running community awareness programmes to guard against vandalism of public facilities.In addition, the meeting agreed that a Local Economic Development Summit would be convened in the near future to develop strategies to “unearth the economic potential” of Alexandra.Source: City of Johannesburg
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The western leg of the 2017 Ohio Crop Tour had a busy first day. The crew recaps the variability across the I-75 tour on Wednesday.
PBA IMAGESANTIPOLO — With the 2018 PBA Philippine Cup shifting to another gear, June Mar Fajardo is bracing for tougher games ahead.Facing one of the hottest teams in the league in Magnolia, Fajardo, the reigning four-time PBA MVP, got an early taste of playoff basketball on Sunday.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers LATEST STORIES John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding View comments Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH MOST READ Fajardo feels the duel won’t be the last time San Miguel will meet Magnolia as he anticipates the Hotshots, together with Ginebra, which beat the Beermen last week, to make deep runs in the postseason.That’s why Fajardo couldn’t stress the importance of having a healthy team in San Miguel’s bid to retain the all-Filipino crown.“We need to be in condition because the physicality is really intense. We need to be at our peak condition so that we won’t tire that easily,” he said.ADVERTISEMENT San Miguel gets another boost, this time from Chico Lanete Read Next Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC “We’re expecting more of those and it’s really tiring,” said Fajardo, who had scratch marks all over his arms after the Beermen’s tight 77-76 win over the Hotshots.Kept in check by the Magnolia defense, Fajardo struggled from the field, shooting 4-of-11, but still managed to produce 19 points.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutWhat couldn’t be denied, however, was his imposing presence down low especially on the defensive end, grabbing 21 rebounds while also blocking two shots.“All the teams are closely tied in the standings. You really need to get the win to make it to the playoffs,” he said. Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH AFP official booed out of forum
“We just wanted to do our best so we don’t lose our sharpness going into the playoffs,” said coach Eric Altamirano after the unstoppable Thunder—who are assured of an outright semifinal berth—improved to 9-0 to move within a win of an elimination sweep.Cignal HD joined Flying V in the top two after a 96-89 tripping of Centro Escolar University in the other game.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsJason Perkins delivered 18 points, 10 rebounds and three assists to help the Hawkeyes climb to 8-2 and nail the second seed in the standings.Perkins sparked Cignal’s decisive 10-0 run in the third quarter, turning a 59-60 deficit to a 69-60 lead before fending off the Scorpions’ late rally. —WITH CARLO ANOLIN Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress Football dreams are made of this View comments PBA IMAGESJeron Teng dropped a second straight triple-double for streaking Flying V as Cignal HD secured the last outright semifinals berth in the 2017 PBA D-League Foundation Cup on Tuesday.Teng, the leading MVP candidate, scattered 20 points, 16 rebounds and 10 assists to power the Thunder to a 97-59 rout of Zark’s Burgers at Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig City.ADVERTISEMENT FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo LATEST STORIES Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ MOST READ